Lichfield City are back to winning ways following a hard-fought 2-0 win against Wolverhampton Casuals. The result sends them to the second round of the Staffordshire FA Senior Cup, in a game in which City rested a few of their first-team players but got the job done on the night.

City took the lead after 30 minutes when a fantastic ball over the top from Sam Fitzgerald who just managed to keep the ball in play and was very impressive throughout the game, his ball to Chandler Pegg sent the striker through on goal and he did the rest to calmly convert past Casuals goalkeeper Callum Haywood.

One soon became two just under 10 minutes later, when the dangerous Christian Blanchette was pulled back in the area cynically, the referee was left with no choice but to award the penalty.

Dan Lomas who is becoming a penalty specialist calmly slotted the ball past Haywood to make it 2-0 and to give Lichfield control going into the second half.

Into the second half, Casuals came back into the game and if it hadn’t had been for Lichfield’s number 1 James Beeson then they would have been allowed back into the game.

After Casuals found themselves in on goal, Beeson did extremely well to deny the first attempt, making himself big and closing down the angle. The follow-up shot was also saved to preserve Lichfield’s clean sheet.

Lichfield had a few chances of their own in the second half, a brilliant one-two between Max Black and Sam Fitzgerald, allowed the marauding right back to be in on goal but the defender had his shot saved brilliantly by Haywood, denying Black’s near-post shot.

Goalkeeper Beeson was involved again when a shot from the edge of the area was well saved by the goalkeeper, the dipping shot was difficult to handle, but Lichfield’s number 1 did well to keep it out.

Luke Childs was involved in making what was a goal-saving tackle to deny Casuals from getting back into the game, the left-backs crucial intervention denied a certain goal with less than ten minutes to play. Fitzgerald nearly scored a spectacular third from 25 yards out, his shot sailed just over the bar.

After his brilliant tackle 10 minutes earlier, Childs was involved at the other end with a mazy run, skipping past Casuals players with ease. The powerful shot was somehow saved onto the bar by Haywood, in what would have been a stunning solo goal.

After Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Shifnall Town, to get back to winning ways with a rotated team, will no doubt please City’s manager Ivor Green.

Lichfield City will play Chasefield Town in the second round of the competition and will be hoping to carry on their good run of form in the league too when they play Stone Old Allenyians on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.