Lichfield City have now won three league games on the bounce after a comfortable 3-0 away victory against 19th place Haughmond. A header from Dan Lomas, a brilliant solo goal from Jack Edwards and a good finish from Charlie Shaw, settled the encounter.

After a hectic opening 15 minutes, Lichfield took the lead from an Edwards corner. Lichfield’s number 7 whipped in a great cross from the corner onto the head of Lomas at the back post, who saw his looping header drop in past Haughmond goalkeeper Sam Jones, who had no chance with the effort.

Haughmond could have equalised immediately, Harvey Lewis was sent in on goal for the hosts, but a fingertip save from James Beeson in goal denied Lewis from levelling the scores seconds after they fell behind.

Lewis had another chance minutes later for the hosts, a cross from Steve Nicholson eluded the striker for Haughmon but the ball eventually fell to the number 11, but he was leaning back when he hit the ball so the ball ballooned over the crossbar, much to the dismay of the home faithful.

Kyle Patterson was incensed when he wasn’t awarded a penalty 28 minutes in, a crossfield pass from Jamie Elkes found Patterson in on goal, he went past the goalkeeper before going down, the decision from the referee was not forthcoming.

Just before half-time, Lichfield got a crucial second goal. Kyle Patterson sent Jack Edwards in down the left-hand side with a sweeping ball to the winger, Edwards stood up his man before cutting inside and dribbling into the box before finishing brilliantly into the bottom corner, right before half-time.

After an inconsistent first half from the visitors, the second half was much more assured from City, much to the delight of Ivor Green and his coaching staff. The gulf in class between the two sides was further highlighted when 67 minutes in, the game was put beyond doubt by Charlie Shaw.

After Dan Lomas played a brilliant reverse ball to Jack Edwards on the left, Shaw intelligently pulled back on the edge of the penalty box, Edwards found him. Shaw’s first attempt was blocked but the second attempt found the bottom corner to make it three to the visitors.

It was a first-team debut for Cameron Dunn, who was given the last 20 minutes with the score at 3-0, and Ivor would have liked what he saw from the substitute.

Next up for Ivor Green’s men is Black Country Rangers in what will be a physical game, with the tough games coming thick and fast for City.

February 12, 2022

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.