Lichfield City came from behind to win 4-1 away against Whitchurch Alport. In what were awful conditions due to the rain and strong winds, Lichfield were the better side throughout and earned a deserved victory. A Jack Edwards wonder strike was the pick of the bunch in a tense game.

Lichfield were in control of the first half, although struggled to create any clear-cut chances in front of a raucous crowd in Shropshire.

Nathan Haines played a fantastic crossfield ball to Luke Keen early on, who held it up well before laying it off to Kyle Patterson. The captain flicked it over the defender before firing a left-footed effort towards the goal, forcing goalkeeper Elliot Hall to parry it.

After a half in which chances were few and far between, it was the hosts who struck first after 38 minutes, after some good play in the build-up. Dylan Bath picked it up, wriggling away from some poor challenges in truth, before rifling the ball with his left foot high and powerful into the roof of the net, making it 1-0 to the hosts on the brink of half-time.

Alport could have gone two goals up on the brink of half-time when a mix up in the area after Carpenter drove into the box, the ball was eventually played to Alex Hughes, who scored a hattrick the last time the teams met. He took a touch, he fired it hard and low, the goalkeeper was beaten, but left-back Joe Haines was there to clear it off the line.

Barely five minutes after the restart, Lichfield were level. A confident Sam Fitzgerald who improved as the night went on, played a great ball to Jack Edwards on the right-hand side. The tricky winger whipped in a delightful cross which was headed in brilliantly by Dan Lomas to draw City level.

20 minutes into the second half, a penalty was awarded to Lichfield. Another wicked delivery from Edwards on the right, caused problems in the area, striker Keen couldn’t quite get his head on it, after some appeals from the away side, the referee awarded the penalty.

Dan Lomas stepped up, but his low penalty to the goalkeeper’s left was saved superbly by Hall, who parried his effort onto the crossbar before it was cleared away, much to the home fans’ delight.

Lichfield went 2-1 up late on and it was a goal worthy of any occasion. Jack Edwards picked up the ball with it all to do 30-yards-out, he jinxed past one before unleashing a fantastic left-footed effort past Hall, who had no chance.

It was soon 3-1 barely two minutes after when the young goalkeeper Hall made a terrible mistake dropping a caught ball. Fitzgerald picked up the loose ball, on the byline before cutting it back to Keen for an easy finish.

Max Dixon got in on the act late on, when he was sent in on goal with just the goalkeeper to beat. The 20-year-old striker rifled a superb effort past Hall, the effort was too hot to handle to make it 4-1.

This win will do wonders for Ivor Green’s men, as the season draws to a busy close.

April 4, 2022
Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.