Lichfield City extended their unbeaten league start to ten matches on Wednesday evening as a late Max Dixon goal secured a 3-2 win in a closely fought affair at home to Stone Old Alleynians. 

A tightly contested opening 25 minutes saw the hosts keep the majority of possession as well as force a handful of corners but failed to create any chances of note.

The match needed an injection of life with neither side going close and that’s what it got when captain Kyle Patterson lined up a strike from just outside the area and found the bottom corner on the 27th minute mark to give Lichfield the lead.

Just moments later, Luke Childs tested his luck from a similar range but saw his effort fly over the crossbar as City looked to end the half strongly. 

However, it was the visitors who were able to find the second of the match as David Ablewhite found himself free in the box to strike low past James Beeson and equalise for Alleynians ten minutes before halftime.

City came close to restoring their lead three minutes before the interval when a neat turn from Max Dixon saw the striker in space to shoot from distance, with his effort bobbling just wide of the goal.

The visitors started the second half strongly with goalscorer Ablewhite going close from a direct free-kick that sailed just over the crossbar after Sam Wilson was fouled outside of the area before Jack Edwards had his first effort of the match, stinging the gloves of visiting ‘keeper Adam Alcock.

The hosts were able to restore their lead with just over half an hour to go after left-back Joe Haines was fouled in the area, allowing Dan Lomas to convert from the penalty spot. 

It didn’t take long for the visitors to claw back a second equaliser of the evening as a parried shot found it’s way to the path of Luke Askey who drilled home a powerful effort into the roof of the net.

Both sides pushed for the winner, with Alleynians finishing the stronger of the two. but couldn’t find the necessary quality in the final third to clinch the points late on. 

That was until Luke Childs broke free and looped an expert ball into the path of Max Dixon who finished cooly on the half volley to take the points in the final minute of normal time. 

Frustrations boiled over for the visitors as goalscorer Askey was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on Jamie Elkes following a set piece, despite the linesman’s flag being raised long before. 

The victory extends City’s unbeaten start to the league campaign and propels them back up to the top of the table with their next match a trip to Shifnal Town on Saturday.

October 27, 2021
Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.