Lichfield City were pegged back twice but found a winner late on through a Leighton McMenemy header, in a hectic 3-2 win against Tividale.

Goals from Chandler Pegg and Sam Fitzgerald were cancelled out by a Jason Bond wonder-strike and a scrappy goal from Curtis Cocking from a corner, before McMenemy’s late winner decided the enthralling encounter.

The conditions were tough, the early stages and throughout the game were dominated by long balls and the game was very stop-start throughout, with fouls being given constantly all over the pitch. Sam Fitzgerald tried his luck from 35-yards-out, the ball took a bounce on the bobbly surface, goalkeeper Louis Connor parried the effort and collected at the second attempt.

Lichfield took the lead after 30 minutes when a dinked corner from the left by Sam Fitzgerald into the six-yard box, took a touch off of Chandler Pegg and went into the roof of the net. The lethal striker now has two goals in his last two starts after his goal against Stourport Swifts last month.

Tividale were creating half chances during the first half, firstly through Elliot Hartley when James Beeson tried to clear an effort but the surface prevented him from doing so. The lively winger couldn’t get his right-footed attempt on target. Hartley had another chance when a ball in the air dropped for the number 11, a difficult shot on the volley in the penalty box, went straight into Beeson’s hands.

Tividale did equalise on the brink of halftime through Jason Wood, for his first goal of the season. After a throw-in from left-back Bradley Welding, his throw was headed away. The ball came back to the fullback and his poor low cross caused issues for the away side, and the ball dropped to Wood outside the box, who struck the ball sweetly into the bottom corner in off the post, leaving Beeson no chance with the effort.

Sam Fitzgerald’s goal came just after the restart when his effort from the edge of the box was dealt with poorly by Tividale goalkeeper Connor, and it found its way into the back of the net, much to the relief and joy of Ivor Green and his coaching staff.

Lichfield were pegged back again from a Tividale corner when poor defending from the set play, allowed Curtis Cocking at the back post to head down and equalise, sending the home fans into raptures with only a few minutes to play.

Nathan Haynes, who has been a colossus since his arrival from Atherstone was a standout performer in the second half. He was marshalling the back four and winning every aerial ball, alongside Leighton McMenemy who was also impressive throughout and capped off a fine display with the late winner from a corner.

The win means Lichfield retain their third-place position in the division for now, after a tough 90 minutes the win will do the away side the world of good.

April 12, 2022
Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.